ideas & advice
You are here: Ideas & Advice > Wedding Dresses, Gowns & Attire
Wedding Dresses Ideas for Every Season
Take a cue from the seasons with our favorite wedding dresses and attire ideas for spring, summer, fall, and winter…
Summer Wedding Dresses and Attire
Think breezy dresses with airy silhouettes and light fabrics for a a summertime affair…
- Lighter fabrics: for the wedding dress – think organdy, linen, chiffon, crepe, georgette or any light-weight silk. Bridesmaids dresses in linen, eyelet, or seersucker will ensure your girls are comfortable. You may want to forego tuxes and dress the guys in traditional cape cod style – khakis, blue sport coats and colorful ties like those from Vineyard Vines, or morning suits for a more formal affair.
- Simple silhouettes: opt for a slip dress or sheath – as opposed to a voluminous ball gown. Keep your veil simple as well – look for airy, not poufy.
- Dare to go barefoot: a casual outdoor setting can be made more so with a barefoot bridal party
- Add color: summer is a time to incorporate some color into your ensemble.
Fall Wedding Dresses and Attire
Embrace fall with rich textures and luxurious accents that complement the season…
- For the bride: 1. off white - cream or off-white wedding gowns accent a richer color palette. 2. lace up - antique or vintage lace adds texture to a rustic setting
- For the ‘maids: select jewel tone bridesmaids dresses in rich fabrics such as brocade or velvet
- Stay comfortable: be prepared for chilly or warm temps. Strapless dresses with wraps, capelets or stoles are a safe bet
Winter Wedding Dresses and Attire
Add some sparkle with glamorous gowns that glisten like new fallen snow…
- Rich fabrics: warm up to velvet, satin, brocade, and heavy silk
- Add a layer: if your wedding dress is sleeveless or strapless, add a wrap, shrug or cape in white or in one of your wedding colors
- Winter white: dress the wedding party, flower girl and ring bearer in winter white for a chic, clean look.
- Black tie: formal attire at an elegant winter wedding is always a classic
Spring Wedding Dresses and Attire
Embrace the outdoors with floral elements and touches of color…
- Loosen up: feel free to relax the dress code a bit, especially if the wedding will take place outside
- Lighten up: lighter fabrics like lace or cotton create a perfect springtime look
- Wedding gown: add some color with a sash or detailed embroidery
- Bridesmaids dresses: 1. pastels are a springtime classic. Keep yours fresh by choosing a color and allowing each of your maids to select a different hue. Or go in another direction with a bolder turquoise, fuschia or mango. 2. avoid satin shoes – they don’t hold up well under springtime showers
- The guys: they’ll look seasonably appropriate in tan suits, colored shirts and ties. For a formal evening affair, a basic tux always works.