Plan a Summer Wedding
Warm sunshine, vibrant colors, and outdoor setting opportunities abound for summer weddings. Take advantage of the season with these tips for summer-themed weddings.
Advice for Summer Weddings
Beat the Heat
Seriously consider renting fans or portable AC units for an outdoor wedding (even northern climates can hit 90 this time of year), and try to find a location with ample shade so guests can escape blazing sun and heat. Even if your wedding is inside, you’ll need to check the comfort level beforehand – some older venues lack good ventilation or aren’t air conditioned.
Brave the Elements
Outdoor settings are popular during the summer, but high temperatures aren’t the only discomfort you’ll have to contend with. Damaging UV rays, killer mosquitoes, and pop-up showers are just some of the elements you may have to endure. Have bug spray, sunscreen and umbrellas on hand just in case.
Work Around Summer Travel
Remember that summer is prime time for family vacations, holiday weekends, oh yeah – and other weddings. Try to book your date and notify your guests as early as possible.
Summer Wedding Ideas & Details
Summer Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Add a summer motif – such as a seashell, starfish, plant or flower to your stationery suite
- Go wild with color – now’s the time for paper or fonts in bold tropical hues (such as fuschia or mango paired with gold) or the colors of the sea (blues and greens)
Summer Wedding Location
- Get outdoors – summer weddings just call for a beach, garden, rooftop, or backyard setting
- Get on the water – marinas or even yacht cruises make for seasonably stylish venues
Summer Wedding Color Palettes
- Bright and bold – hot pink, yellow, mango, and fuschia look amazing paired with gold
- Nautical – navy and white is a clean summer classic; accent with touches of yellow, red, or gold
- Seaside – combine aqua with beige, peach, or white
Summer Wedding Décor
- Go casual – summer weddings lend themselves to a casual décor scheme, fitting of a backyard barbecue; think checked table clothes, benches and picnic tables
- Go natural – incorporate natural décor elements like fresh fruits or vegetables
- Light up the night – light up an outdoor evening reception with bistro lights, lanterns, or torches
Summer Wedding Flowers
- Seasonal blooms – abundant flowers are always in style at a summer wedding. Use bright and cheerful blooms like sunflowers, peonies, hydrangea, mums, daisies, dahlias, zinnias, and roses. Or create a breezy, airy look with white on white, using roses, stephanotis, calla lilies, snowball mums and daisies, and incorporate a touch of blue, like blue hydrangea. Consult our complete list of summer wedding flowers .
- Fruits – fruits like oranges or pears look chic when filled in tall clear vases
- For a beach look – incorporate shells, sand, and sea glass in your arrangements
Summer Wedding Menu Ideas
- Serve lighter fare – think fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables like berries, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, and corn, seafood and lean poultry like chicken. Between courses, serve a light sorbet.
- Spark up the grill – fancy-up some traditional picnic and grill fare like barbecue, burgers, and potato salad
- Head to the tropics – feature tropical signature cocktails like margaritas, sangria, or mojitos
Summer Wedding Cake Ideas
- Light and fluffy – serve something light, like angel food cake topped with whipped cream and berries
- Fresh adornments – top traditional wedding cake with fresh tropical flowers like hibiscus, or decorate with shells and starfish
- Spoon it out – serve light sorbet or gelato
- Add a cherry – have a do it yourself sundae bar (just make sure you have a way to keep the ice cream cool)
Summer Wedding Attire
- Wedding gown – think light fabrics: organdy, linen, chiffon, crepe, georgette, or any light-weight silk
- Bridesmaid attire – dress the girls in linen, eyelet, or seersucker, and dress the guys in traditional cape cod style – khakis, blue sport coats and colorful ties like those from Vineyard Vines, or morning suits for a more formal affair.
- Simple silhouettes – opt for a slip dress or sheath as opposed to a voluminous ball gown. Keep your veil simple as well – look for airy, not poofy.
- Dare to go barefoot – a casual outdoor setting can be made more so with a barefoot bridal party
- Add color – summer is a time to incorporate some bright, fun color into your ensemble through creative accessories and fun wedding shoes
Summer Wedding Favors
- Keep ‘em cool – personalized paper fans are both decorative and functional
- Keep it fresh – give a taste of the season with fresh fruits such as pears or oranges
- From the sea – give bags or bottles of shells, sand dollars, sea stones or sea glass decorated with your monogram
- Flip out – with flip flops in your wedding colors
- Fill up – stuff mini-canvas beach bags with local goodies
Your Summer Wedding Getaway
- Sail away – on a sail boat, yacht, catamaran, or canoe (hint: you’ll need a body of water)
- Ride the waves – on surfboards or paddleboards, same goes, you’ll need a body of water and a willingness to get wet
- Up and away – a hot-air balloon makes a dramatic statement and affords some romantic alone time with your new spouse
- Fly away – try parasailing, again, if you’re at the beach and don’t mind getting wet