did you know?
Read real wedding stories and view the photos from successfully planned spring weddings in the Real Weddings section:
Cari Ann & Jared - Palm Springs, CA
Plan a Spring Wedding
The tulips are blooming, the temperatures are rising – it’s time for a spring wedding! Get started planning your spring-themed wedding now…
Advice for Spring Weddings
Daylight Saving Time
In 2012, daylight saving time begins on Sunday, March 11th, after which the sun will set an hour later. Keep this date in mind if you envision a sunset outdoor ceremony.
May and June are prime prom months, so be sure to book your transportation and locations early.
Spring weather can be unpredictable. An unseasonably warm and sunny Friday can give way to a miserably cold and rainy Saturday. Be prepared for both extremes.
Spring Wedding Ideas & Details
Spring Wedding Invitations & Stationery
- Add a spring motif – Incorporate umbrellas, clouds, daffodils, tulips, or, one of our favorites, butterflies into your wedding stationery suite.
- Consider color – Use paper or inks in a spring color palette, like blush shades, gentle greens, punchy pinks, etc.
- Get whimsical – Find a fun, flirty font to evoke a festive spring feeling.
- An added touch – Insert a sprinkling of silk flowers into each envelope.
Spring Wedding Locations
- Garden settings abound – Take advantage of budding leaves and flowers with botanical gardens, mansions with lush grounds, or another venue with a pristine garden or courtyard.
- Take it indoors – If an outdoor setting isn’t possible, find an indoor venue with panoramic picture windows affording lots of sunlight and a bright, airy ambiance.
Spring Color Palettes
- Soft hues – Combine a wide variety of blush shades like soft pinks, ecru, ivory, and gray.
- Garden elegance – Green and white are an elegant accompaniment to a garden setting.
- Get preppy – Combine hot pink with green with a dash of mango.
Spring Decor Ideas
- Be playful – Use fun patterns like gingham, polka dots, eyelet lace, swiss dots, or stripes.
- Go green – Though an obvious choice, green never gets old in spring and can be a theme throughout. Plant grass in terracotta pots and design your event around an overall garden theme.
- Colorful details – Bright, playful pennant flags or burlap bunting are a fun addition to spring wedding décor.
Spring Wedding Flowers
- Seasonal blooms – Classics include tulips, daffodils, peonies, lilies, magnolias, gardenias, hydrangeas, gerbera daisies, and apple or cherry blossoms. View our complete list of spring wedding flowers.
- Creative containers – Put your arrangements in simple, homespun containers like vintage jars, watering cans, teapots, or mix and match china.
- Potted plants – Potted grasses, herbs, daffodils, or tulips create a natural, organic look. Best of all, you can plant them for a timeless reminder of your wedding.
- Non-floral arrangements – Incorporating vegetables like asparagus, artichokes, and brussel sprouts can be a fun and sustainable substitution for roses.
Spring Wedding Menu
- In season – Serve a main dish featuring chicken, ham, or lamb with citrus marinades and fresh herb tapenades.
- Fresh produce – Round out the meal with a bounty of fresh fruits and young vegetables like baby carrots, baby asparagus, and new potatoes.
- Elegant sides – Serve mini-quiches or update traditional deviled eggs by adding salmon or crabmeat.
- Bar favorites – For the non-alcholic beverage, serve lemonade in a large glass container with simple mason jars as glasses. Mix up a batch of mimosas for a morning wedding, or create a festive and tart champagne cocktail.
Spring Wedding Cake Ideas
- Coconut confection – Coconut frosting and fillings make a quintessential spring treat.
- Crazy for carrot – Carrot cake with cream cheese icing is another springtime fave.
- Light and fluffy – Go with angel food cake and fresh strawberries or strawberry cream.
- Whimsical adornments – Decorate with bright, fanciful details like ribbon, swiss dots, or ruffles.
Spring Wedding Attire
- Wedding gown – Feel free to relax the dress code a bit, especially if the wedding will take place outside. Lighter fabrics like lace or cotton create a perfect springtime look. Then add some color with a big bow or a colorful belt and jewelry. A chunky turquoise necklace or large cocktail ring can bring a splash of color to your ivory ensemble.
- Bridesmaids’ dresses – Blush colors are a springtime classic. Keep yours fresh by choosing a color and allowing each of your maids to select a different hue. Or go in another direction with a bolder turquoise, fuschia, or mango. Avoid satin shoes as they don’t hold up well under springtime showers.
- The guys – They’ll look seasonably appropriate in tan suits, colored shirts and ties. Consider gray slacks with suit vests for something a bit different.
Spring Wedding Favors
- Keep love blooming – Packs of flower seeds will serve as a constant reminder of how your love grows.
- Plant it – Give miniature potted plants, succulents, or herbs.